MID-CONFERENCE FIELD TRIPS ( 2 Days, 16-17 September 2017)
- Visit to 1st century AD Classical Hellenistic temple of Garni
- Visit to gorge of Azat river, spectacular columnar joints lava flow and Garni active fault
- Visit to 4th -13th Century AD Geghard monastery and view of Vokhchaberd volcanoclastic suite of Upper-Miocene-Pliocene Age.
- Visit to State History Museum of Armenia
- Visit to Matenadaran, Institute and Museum of Ancient Manuscripts
- Visit to Echmiatsin Cathedral (est. 4th Century AD), Center of Armenian Apostolic Church
- Visit to Hripsime 7th Century AD church
POST-CONFERENCE FIELD TRIPS (4 DAYS, 18-21 SEPTEMBER)
18th September: Yerevan – Gyumri (stay in Gyumri)
Aragats volcano- Armenian ignimbrites (650 Ka), Arteni obsidian volcano (1.5 Ma) and Barozh mid-late Paleolithic open air site and obsidian workshop.
19th September: Gyumri – Spitak-Vanadsor-Dilijan (stay in Dilijan)
PSSF active fault, scarp of Spitak 1988 earthquake, Agstev river valley, Eocene volcanosedimentary units.
20th September: Dilijan-Sevan-Nor-Geghi-1 – Yerevan (stay in Yerevan)
Crossing of Amassia-Sevan-Akera suture zone that divides two geological terranes (Eurasian margin and south Armenian block microcontinent of Gondwanaland origin), Lake Sevan and Sevanavank Monastery, Nor Geghi Mid-Paleolithic site (400-200 Ka).
21st September: Yerevan-Aknashen-Metsamor – Erebuni – Yerevan
Aknashen Neolithic archeological site, Metsamor archaeological site and museum, Erebuni Urartian fortress (8th century BC) and museum.
More detailed information on post-conference field trips will be available in 2nd circular
For any questions please contact organising committee by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow conference Web site for updates: http://inhigeo2017.geology.am